What's New‎ > ‎

Special Notice for Vermont Property Owners

posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:33 AM by Bruce Richardson   [ updated Mar 12, 2013, 9:35 AM ]
All Vermont residents who own and occupy their home on April 1 must once again file the Homestead Declaration annually by the due date for filing Vermont income tax returns, which is April 15 this year. When homeowners file their declaration, the town is then able to apply the correct education property tax rate to the property. If the property owner does not file a Homestead Declaration by the deadline or by the extended deadline of October 15 (penalties apply after April 15), then the property will be taxed at the higher property tax rate.

This is particularly important to those seeking a property tax adjustment because the declaration must be filed first. The process for filing a Property Tax Adjustment Claim has been made easier this year as the claim is now on the same form HS-122 as the Homestead Declaration. Refer to information on the property tax bill when filing.

 The Vermont Department of Taxes encourages electronic filing, but using paper form HS-122 is acceptable. Both electronic filing and form HS-122 may be found online at the Department of Taxes website at www.tax.vermont.gov. For more information on the Homestead Declaration and the Property Tax Adjustment Claim, visit www.tax.vermont.gov or contact the Vermont Department of Taxes at (802) 828-2865 or (866) 828-2865 (toll-free in Vermont).

Please see the attached .pdf (Adobe Reader file) for more information.

Bruce Richardson,
Mar 12, 2013, 9:33 AM