TOWN OF MAIDSTONE UPDATED 7/9/15
WASTE AND RECYCLABLE DISPOSAL INFORMATION
Because the State of Vermont passed Act 148, the Town of Maidstone has gone to a pay-per-bag system of garbage collection. The requirement to use the purple bags with black lettering with “TOWN OF MAIDSTONE” imprinted on them will begin on August 3, 2015. Garbage in any other bags will not be picked up by our waste hauler.
The purpose of Act 148, the new recycling law is to encourage more recycling thereby reducing waste. A list of recyclable items will accompany this letter.
1. You may pick up your bags at the Maidstone Town Office on Mondays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. 3 p.m. The Town Clerk will also be at the office from 9am to 11 am on Saturday July 18th and on Thursday from 9:00 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. July 23rd. Any other time you see a vehicle in the Town parking lot, you may stop to pick up your bags if I am there. Bags will be available for pickup on July 11th at the Lake Association picnic.
2. Full time residents will get 52 free purple 30-32 gallon bags imprinted with “Town of Maidstone” in black print. That allows 1 bag per week per household for one year. You may put out more than one purple bag and if you use your 52 bags before next July you may purchase them from the Town Office for $3.00 a bag. Unofficial bags will not be picked up.
3. Part time residents will be issued 26 free bags and may obtain an additional 26 without charge, as needed. They also may purchase additional bags for $3.00 a bag.
4. Lists of items that need to be recycled are included with this information, as well as lists of acceptable bulky item disposal materials that shall be collected on August 8th at 1342 Route 102, at Bradley and Cheryl McVetty’s residence. Electronics and appliances will be accepted as usual.
5. The pickup schedule will remain the same. Only issued, labeled trash bags will be picked up. If you use a trash bin, you may place the bag in the bin.
6. Continue to place recycling in recycling bins, following the current pickup schedule.
7. Recyclable materials will now also be picked up at the lake every other week year round on the same schedule as the Town.
8. Plastic bags, electronics, tires, the items listed under “Additional Recyclable Materials,” and household hazardous wastes are not picked up roadside in Maidstone. (See below)
Additional information on this act and other waste or recycle questions may be obtained by contacting the NEKWMD at www.nekwmd.org, or calling 800 734-4602 or the Town Clerk by dropping in, calling 802 676-3210 or emailing email@example.com.
Latest News >