Updated 7/17/2023

Maidstone's Zoning Administrator is Mike Otis.  Mike can be reached by phone at (802)-478-4714, or by email at maidstonezoning@gmail.com.

Zoning Overview:

An informational pamphlet about planning and zoning has been created by the The Vermont Institute for Government, a non-profit organization offering education and training to state and local officials and to the public. You may find this pamphlet helpful: Isn’t This My Land? An Introduction to Planning and Zoning in Vermont.

The Maidstone Town Plan lays out a vision for the Town that is intended to reflect the considerations and priorities upon which the majority of the townspeople want decisions on future town developments to be made. The Maidstone Zoning Bylaws are the rules that guide, regulate, and govern land development in our Town, ensuring that development is in alignment with the vision expressed in the Town Plan. Maidstone first established Zoning Regulations in 1974, in accordance with the Vermont Planning and Development Act. Those regulations were amended in 1994, in 2002, and again in 2016. 

The following information is provided to be of assistance in understanding and successfully following both Town Bylaws and State Laws throughout the land development process. Every effort will be made to keep this page updated to ensure that information is accurate and current. However, it is always best to consult with the Maidstone Zoning Administrator and check with the Permit Specialist for the State of Vermont, if you have any questions. If you do notice out of date information or broken links, please notify the Town Clerk at maidstonetownclerk@gmail.com .

When do I need a Zoning Permit?

According to the Maidstone Zoning Bylaw §502, "no land development, as defined in 24 VSA §4303(10), may be commenced without a permit issued by the Zoning Administrator."  

The definition of land development, as stated in  24 VSA §4303 (10), is: “Land development” means the division of a parcel into two or more parcels, the construction, reconstruction, conversion, structural alteration, relocation, or enlargement of any building or other structure, or of any mining, excavation, or landfill, and any change in the use of any building or other structure, or land, or extension of use of land."

I have an approved Maidstone Zoning Permit, now what?

Three more Bylaws apply:

What is the Certificate of Occupancy?

As was stated just above, a Certificate of Occupancy (COO) certifies that the building or use at the referenced location conforms to the plans and information submitted with the approved zoning permit or as amended with the approval of the Zoning Administrator, as well as with all applicable provisions of the Maidstone Zoning Bylaws.

According to 24 V.S.A. § 4449 (a) (2) If the bylaws so adopted so provide, it shall be unlawful to use or occupy or permit the use or occupancy of any land or structure, or part thereof, created, erected, changed, converted, or wholly or partly altered or enlarged in its use or structure after the effective date of this chapter, within the area affected by those bylaws, until a certificate of occupancy is issued therefor by the administrative officer, stating that the proposed use of the structure or land conforms to the requirements of those bylaws. Provision of a certificate as required by 30 V.S.A. § 51 (residential building energy standards) or 30 V.S.A. §53 (commercial building energy standards) shall be a condition precedent to the issuance of any such certificate of occupancy.

Maidstone Zoning Bylaws do include a Certificate of Occupancy. §514 Certificate of Occupancy was added when the Bylaws were revised in 2016. It states, "No use or occupancy of any land or structure may commence until the Zoning Administrator has issued a Certificate of Occupancy in accordance with 24 V.S.A. § 4449 (2)." "At the time the application for a Certificate of Occupancy is submitted, the applicant shall also submit a copy of the septic permit from the State of Vermont, or a letter of determination from the State of Vermont stating that no such permit is required.  At the time the application for a Certificate of Occupancy is submitted, the applicant shall also submit a certificate of compliance with residential or commercial building energy codes, or credible evidence that no such compliance is required, pursuant to Vermont Public Act No. 89." (See below for more information and links.)

Don't forget about Curb Cuts and Town or State right-of-ways!

This affects any work within a Town Road's right-of-way or doing work on adjacent property that will affect drainage reaching a Town Road or Town Road right-of-way. For State Highway Access, see further down this page for more information and links.

§304 Curb Cuts and Drainage Curb cuts adjoining or affecting town roads, state highways, right of ways, or surrounding private properties may not be created without adequate drainage.  Prior to the creation of any curb cut, the individual seeking to establish such curb cut shall obtain approval from the Town of Maidstone Road Agent [Road Commissioner].  Approval may be conditioned upon installation of one or more culverts in specified size(s) and location(s).

Why do I need State permits or Certificates of Compliance, too?

The State of Vermont has jurisdiction over the following important areas, for which more information and links are included further down this page:

Please contact Jeff McMahon, Permit Specialist for the State of Vermont, to assist you in State required permits. Jeff may be contacted at (802) 477-2241. or by email: jeff.mcmahon@vermont.gov

Please note: Everyone is required by Vermont State Law to submit to the Town Clerk all approved Shoreland Project Registrations, approved Shoreland Protection Permit Applications, approved Shoreland Protection Individual Permit Applications, and approved Waste Water System and Potable Water Supply Permits.

Maidstone Town Zoning Documents:

Zoning Bylaws 2016

Zoning Map 2016.pdf

The Selectboard has approved new versions of the following zoning-related forms:

As soon as our new website is up and running, these forms will be posted online. Until then, the new forms are available at Town Hall on Mondays and Thursdays between 9:00am and 3:00pm. 

If you would like a form emailed to you, please contact either:


State of Vermont Shoreland Permitting:

Effective July 1, 2014, Vermont's Shoreland Protection Act is intended to "prevent degradation of water quality in lakes, preserve habitat and natural stability of shorelines, and maintain the economic benefits of lakes and their shorelands. The Act seeks to balance good shoreland management and shoreland development," as stated on the Department of Environmental Conservation's Shoreland Permitting page.

"Any new development, redevelopment, or clearing within 250 feet from mean water level  may require a permit or registration. A helpful summary of the Shoreland Protection Act describes the types of activities that are jurisdictional to the Shoreland Protection Act and the standards of the  Act."

Please read the following two pages on the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation's website to learn more about the Shoreland Protection Act and what it might mean to you: 

Shoreland Permitting  AND  Shoreland Application Resources 

Please note, "It is strongly recommended that applications be submitted at least 45 days before the proposed beginning date of the project.  If you are unsure as to whether your project requires a Shoreland Permit, Shoreland Registration, or is an exempt activity, please fill out the Vermont Shoreland Protection Act Worksheet.

Shoreland Application Resources The following links are all found on this Shoreland Application Resources page. These links are provided here for your convenience, but it is best to check the Shoreland Application Resources page yourself.

State of Vermont Wastewater Systems and Drinking (Potable) Water Systems:

State of Vermont Residential and Commercial Building Energy Standards (RBES and CBES):

According to Maidstone Zoning Bylaw §514, a certificate of compliance with residential or commercial building energy standards must be submitted with an application for a Certificate of Occupancy.

Residential Building Energy Standards (RBES):  

Commercial Building Energy Standards (CBES): 

State of Vermont Highway Access and Work Permit:

A State Highway Access and Work Permit must be obtained from the Vermont Agency of Transportation (Agency) before doing any work within the State Highway right-of-way or doing work on adjacent property that will affect drainage reaching the State Highway right-of-way. A State Highway Access and Work Permit is also required for access to any new subdivision of land or development which has direct access to a State Highway, even though an existing driveway will be used (19 V.S.A. § 1111). There is no fee for residential or agricultural purposes, according to 19 V.S.A. § 1112